A modern building ends the last row of houses at the bottom of Wenceslas Square. This is the ‘Euro Palace’ which neighbours two important functionalist buildings – the Astra Palace and the Bata department store. Originally a historical three story corner house stood on the spot, but it was demolished in the 1970s during the construction of the Prague metro.
The famous hotel and the 93-metres-tall television transmitter at the top of Ještěd Mountain is a unique architectural construction in the shape of a rotating hyperboloid. Standing at a height of 1012 metres above sea-level it is the dominant landmark in north Bohemia. Proof of Ještěd’s exceptional architectural design is the fact that its author architect Karel Hubáček won the prestigious August Perret Prize for it in 1969. In a 2,000 poll it was elected Building of the Century and five years later it was declared a national cultural monument.
The Žďákov Bridge, which runs across South Bohemia’s Orlík Dam, was the longest structure of its kind in the world when it went into operation in the mid-1960s. The audacious construction was inspired in part by the success enjoyed by Czechoslovak architecture and design at the 1958 World’s Fair and reflected a move away from Socialist Realism.
This year's National Prize for Architecture has been awarded to the
Sporadical studio for the new sports hall at Dolní Břežany primary
school. Judges said the rounded, ellipsoidal building, which mirrors its
surroundings, cleverly masks its true dimensions.
More than 160 ateliers with over 200 projects implemented in the Czech Republic between January 2017 and March 2018 had been entered in the 25th year of the competition. The five-member international jury had initially selected 42 finalists.
The so-called proletarian palaces from the early 1950s, looked grand from the outside, even if in fact they concealed rather small flats within. The municipality of Poruba became the site of largescale construction, in the Soviet socialist realist style, before it became a new part of the larger city of Ostrava in 1957.
There is a small hill near Olomouc in the center of Moravia. On top of the hill, there is a magnificent complex of Baroque buildings around the Pilgrimage Basilica Of Our Lady. Most people know the place simply as „Holy Hill“. It is under the spiritual administration of the Order of Canons Regular of Prémontré, also known as the Norbertines. Vít Pohanka visited Father Ambrož Šámal of the order to find out more about this popular pilgimage site.
An elegant building designed in the post-war functionalist style. Clean lines, strip windows without pillars, a tiled facade and the historical inscription Czechoslovak Radio in the original lettering. This building was the first in the country to be designed specifically for the needs of radio broadcasting. The team of architects led by Karel Tausenau had to meet numerous requirements, especially when it came to acoustics.
Czech PM at centre of new scandal over his son’s shocking revelations
PM's son claims he was forcibly detained in Crimea by his father’s associates
Czech folk artist’s award from Vladimir Putin sparks controversy
Camera traps shed new light on wildcat presence in Czech Republic
Czech PM at security conference: We need to speak more about Schengen, less about the euro