A 63-year-old man who shot dead a 22-year-old Romany and injured his brother in Tanvald in January will not be prosecuted since a state attorney has qualified the act as self-defence. State attorney Lenka Bradacova told the ctk news agency on Monday that there was convincing evidence that the elderly man had acted in self-defence after being attacked by a group of Romanies in a deserted place on the outskirts of town. She said the man had had no alternative but to use his weapon in defence of his own life and did not shoot to kill. He was lying on his back surrounded by several attackers when he fired the shots. The boy’s family later claimed their son had been killed in a racism-motivated attack.
Czechs and Germans in 1930s Czechoslovakia: a complex picture
Wide range of events in store for Czechs this weekend as 30-year anniversary of Velvet Revolution reaches climax
Hundreds of thousands again gather in Prague to voice their opposition to prime minister
Shabby pub profits from nostalgia
Škoda unveils 4th-generation Octavia ahead of model’s 60th anniversary