PM says controversial eco tender at an end

19-10-2011

Czech Prime Minister Petr Nečas has revealed that a controversial public tender on removing environmental damage in the Czech Republic, which was slammed by critics as highly non-transparent and open to corruption, is effectively at an end. On Wednesday he said that the government will not name a winner in the deal, which had potentially been worth billions of crowns. The cheapest offer by firms interested in conducting the massive clean-up project came from Marius Pedersen Engineering, which asked for 56.8 billion crowns. But Finance Minister Miroslav Kalousek did not recommend the deal to the cabinet, suggesting the price was less than convincing. Prime Minister Nečas repeated on Wednesday that there had always been doubts over the massive project, which he said had been confirmed by the offers received. The firms taking part in the tender will have 15 days to raise any objections.