The Canadian government has allegedly decided upon the reintroduction of visa restrictions for Czechs traveling to Canada and is due to make the announcement officially on Tuesday, reported Czech Television on Friday. Canada has been considering the reimposition of visa restrictions for Czechs for a while, following the high number of asylum claims being made predominantly by Czech Romany traveling to the country. In the first four months of this year, Ottawa received some 1,077 asylum claims from Czechs. Last year, some 861 Czechs sought asylum in the North American state. Visa restrictions were lifted after negotiations between Prague and Ottawa in 2007. Such visa restrictions had already been lifted once in 1997, but were reimposed after a matter of months when hundreds of Czechs flocked to Canada and sought asylum.
Around 100 people gathered on Prague’s Palackého náměstí on Saturday to protest against the eviction of squatters from the capital’s Milada squat last week. On Tuesday, a private security firm contracted by the building’s owners threw squatters out with the help of the Czech police. Three policemen were injured in the process, and four squatters were arrested. Human Rights and Minorities Minister Michael Kocáb announced on Friday that he had found alternative accommodation for the evicted squatters, on Prague’s Truhlářská Street.
Water levels have receded further in South Bohemia following some of the worst flooding the region has experienced in recent history. On Friday, a spokesperson for the Czech Hydrometeorological Institute said that the situation was improving in the region, which has seen flooding cause millions of crowns worth of damage in the past week. On Friday, there were more storms in South Bohemia, but rivers continued to subside, Tomáš Vlasák said. Flash floods in North Moravia and South Bohemia killed 14 people last week, and left hundreds of households cut off without electricity and gas. Around 1,000 soldiers were deployed to help emergency services rescue people from the floods and get the clean-up operation underway.
Two more cases of swine flu have been registered in the Czech Republic, bringing the total number of cases recorded here to 17. According to the Czech Health Ministry, one man fell ill with the H1N1 virus after returning to the Czech Republic from the United States, while the second contracted the virus on holiday in Thailand. One of the two patients is making a good recovery at home, said a ministry spokesperson, while the second remains in Prague’s Bulovka hospital in what is said to be a ‘stable’ condition.
In sport, former Czech national football coach Karel Brueckner has said that he is considering taking up the job one more time. Mr Brueckner told the daily newspaper Sport that he had already been in negotiation with the head of the Czech FA Ivan Hašek about the proposal. The former national coach said that he would ideally like to become an advisor to the team, but that he would not rule out the idea of coaching the Czechs once more. Following the dismissal of František Straka from the job, after only one match in charge, there has been speculation that new Czech FA head Ivan Hašek would be interested in coaching the team himself, with the help and advice of several other trainers. On Thursday, Mr Hašek’s first choice for the job, Slavia coach Karel Jarolím, ruled himself out of the running, citing current work commitments.
The decision to put former Green MP Olga Zubová on the Social Democrats’ list of candidates for this autumn’s early elections sparked ire at a party conference on Saturday. The Social Democrats’ deputy leader Bohuslav Sobotka said that he had found out about Ms Zubová’s nomination on the internet on Friday night and that more discussion was needed about such a controversial appointment. South Moravian Governor Michal Hašek said that he hoped those who nominated Ms Zubová for the candidacy would take full responsibility for their decision. Ms Zubová was a member of the Social Democratic Party until 2005 when she decided to run for the Czech Greens. After a series of conflicts with former Green Party head Martin Bursík, Ms Zubová left the Greens to found her own Democratic Green Party, which failed to gain any seats in the recent elections to the European Parliament.
Oscar-winning director Miloš Forman was welcomed back to his native Czech Republic as a star on Friday at the opening ceremony of the 44th Karlovy Vary International Film Festival. The filmmaker was applauded as he arrived at the festival’s opening ceremony, which was also attended by Czech President Václav Klaus and Prime Minister Jan Fischer. During the festival, the director will present his new film ‘A Walk Worthwhile’ ahead of its general release on July 9. The 44th annual film festival in the west Bohemian town will also see Crystal Globes handed out to French actress Isabelle Huppert and US actor John Malkovich. The President’s Prize at this year’s festival is to be handed to Spanish actor Antonio Banderas.
Large-scale cleanup operations are underway in South Bohemia as flood waters abate. Local firemen and charity organisations are being assisted by the Czech army in the initial work of clearing debris, purifying waterways and repairing roads. More than 500 homes have been inundated in South Bohemia, and the region has estimated total damages in the hundreds of millions of crowns.
In Sport, Slavia Prague coach Karel Jarolím has said that he will not become the coach of the Czech national team alongside FA head Ivan Hašek, as many had predicted. At a meeting with Hašek on Wednesday, Jarolím said that he appreciated the offer, but that he had to dedicate his time to training last year’s Gambrinus league winners Slavia. New head of the Czech Football Association, Ivan Hašek, had said repeatedly over the past couple of days that Jarolím was his number one choice for national coach. Immediately after his appointment to the helm of the FA last weekend, Hašek fired former coach František Straka, who had been in charge of the Czech team for just one match. Hašek was hoping that Jarolím would take over the national team as well as continuing to train league-winners Slavia.
The Minister of Human Rights and Minorities, musician Michael Kocáb, raised eyebrows on Friday with the announcement that he had arranged the relocation of a community of squatters to the city centre. The community had been protesting their recent eviction from the abandoned mansion they inhabited on the outskirts of Prague. Under sharp criticism from some quarters, Mr Kocáb emphasised at Friday’s press conference that he had merely negotiated the move, which was ultimately agreed between the squatters and the owner of their new residence. The squatters are to have at their disposal three flats and a cellar space for the symbolic price of one crown, and will have to cover the costs of water, gas and energy themselves.
Karel Gott to get funeral with state honours as singer’s death is mourned at home and abroad
Beijing ends agreement with Prague – but can spat harm Czech capital?
Czech pop music legend Karel Gott dies at the age of 80
Karel Gott’s Mona Lisa to be put up for auction
Czechs observe day of mourning for pop idol Karel Gott