Telephone surveillance is not more common in the Czech Republic than in other European countries, according to a new report presented by police chief Jiri Kolar and Interior Minister Frantisek Bublan on Friday. It was commissioned on the instigation of President Vaclav Klaus, after a number of high profile cases of alleged phone tapping. Civic Democrat MP Jiri Bily says the study is not objective or independent because it was carried out by the police themselves; he has called on the Justice Ministry to begin a fresh inquiry.
The number of Czech citizens still unaccounted for in the wake of the
Indian Ocean disaster fell to 13 on Friday. Seven of those who are
missing are believed dead, though only one Czech fatality - a
24-year-old woman - has been confirmed so far.
Meanwhile, experts from the Prague police have been taking DNA samples from relatives of the seven Czechs believed to have died, the daily Pravo reported on Friday. The results of the DNA tests will be sent to the affected region, where they will be compared with tests carried out on victims of the disaster.
The Czech public has donated almost 150 million crowns (around 5 million euros) to relief in Southeast Asia. A spokesperson for aid agency People in Need said it was the biggest collection to help overseas disaster victims in the history of the Czech Republic. The Czech government has sent 15 million crowns in aid, and pledged another 200 million for redevelopment in the region.
The Czech supermodel, Petra Nemcova, who survived the tsunami disaster in Thailand with serious injuries, will arrive in Prague on Thursday night. The 25-year-old swimsuit model held onto a palm tree for eight hours before she could be rescued and taken to hospital with a pelvic fracture and internal injuries. Petra Nemcova will continue her recovery in the Czech Republic. Her boyfriend, British photographer Simon Atlee, is still missing.
A second group of children who survived the three-day hostage crisis at a school in Beslan, southern Russia, last week will arrive in the Czech Republic next week for a recuperative visit. The children will be staying at a sanatorium for four weeks to help them recover from shock. They were supposed to have arrived on Wednesday but the Russian Red Cross refused to pay for their airline tickets. The national air carrier Czech Airlines will send a special plane for them next week.
Over a week after a devastating earthquake and tsunami hit Southeast Asia,
one Czech has been confirmed dead and the number of Czechs still
unaccounted for remains at 15. There is strong suspicion that seven of
them are also dead. The Czech government has pledged to donate 15 million
crowns, eight million of which has already been released, for immediate
relief to the affected areas. A further 200 million crowns (6.7 million
euros) is to be offered for the restoration of the regions.
Czech charitable organisations have raised over one hundred million crowns (over 3 million euros) and the 19 percent VAT deducted from donor SMS messages will also be given to Asia. Some Czech banks have decided to forgo certain service charges on donations.
Of the Czech tourists who have returned from the stricken areas, eleven were taken to Prague's Bulovka hospital to undergo thorough medical check-ups. Four of them, suffering from diarrhoea, were hospitalised after doctors feared they had contracted infectious diseases. On Thursday, all patients were confirmed healthy.
The Czech Republic joined other European countries on Wednesday in a day
of mourning for the victims of the tsunami disaster in South Asia. Flags
flew at half mast, sirens sounded across the country at noon and Czechs
held a three-minute silence to pay respect to the 150,000 dead.
The number of Czechs still unaccounted for has dropped to 16, but there are fears that seven of them have died. Officially only one Czech victim has been confirmed.