Mobile operators will be given time until 2024 to launch their 5G networks
after a frequency auction takes place, Prime Minister Andrej Babiš said on
Thursday at an international conference in Prague, which is dedicated to
exploring the security, technical and economic aspects of switching to 5G.
Mr. Babiš said he expects the switch to the advanced wireless system to be even more revolutionary than the onset of mobile phones, stimulating economic growth, innovation and overall prosperity. However, he also stressed the extraordinary importance of ensuring the new network system’s security.
In a video message sent to the conference, European Commissioner for Security Julian King urged the importance of EU member states approaching 5G network security in a co-operative way, establishing a set of security standards.
A Czech non-profit organisation based in Brno has developed a special mobile phone application for drug users and people living on the streets. Called Čára or Line, it will help them find accommodation, food or free needle exchange. The app, reported to be the first of its kind in Europe, has just been launched for a trial run.
Prime Minister Andrej Babiš says he will not take action against the
minister of industry and trade, Marta Nováková, over comments she made
about mobile data prices. The minister, who was appointed by Mr. Babiš’s
ANO party, attracted a lot of criticism for suggesting that data was
relatively expensive in the Czech Republic because not enough people were
availing of the service, which operators had invested a lot of money in.
Mr. Babiš said Ms. Nováková had expressed herself poorly and that everybody made an unfortunate comment sometimes.
Chinese tech giant Huawei has threatened to go to court if the Czech
National Cyber and Information Security Agency does not cancel or adjust
its warning against incorporating Huawei technology, the daily Deník N
reports. The company has apparently stated this in letters sent to Prime
Minister Andrej Babiš and Dušan Navrátil, the agency’s director.
Huawei has demanded an answer by February 14. The government discussed the
matter on Friday and decided that Huawei's letter will be answered by
the cybersecurity agency and not by government.
The threat of international arbitration follows the withdrawal by various government ministries from contracts with Huawei after the Czech cyber watchdog issued a warning in December against using Huawei technology in the state’s critical infrastructure.
The Czech Republic’s cyber security institution, NCISA, has released a warning that Huawei devices may be used to damage the country’s national interests. Following the warning’s release, many institutions including the Office of the Government and a number of ministries have reacted by banning Huawei phones. The new measures are likely to impact ongoing tenders as well.
The whole of the Prague Metro system should have mobile phone coverage by the year 2022 after the supervisory board of the city’s transport authority this week approved a deal with a consortium of mobile operators. The first stage of the rollout should begin on part of the C (or red) line this year.
Around seven out of 10 Czechs are getting discounted rates for Internet mobile phone use compared to than those being officially offered by the main providers, according to the business daily Hospodářské Noviny. The article puts a broad figure for the first time on the discounts whose extent had previously not been mapped or made public.