Two Czechs serving six-year jail terms in Turkey for cooperating with the
Syrian Kurd militia YPG are in a good state, Czech MEP Tomáš Zdechovský,
who visited them last week, told the Czech News Agency. Diplomats from the
two countries are discussing the conditions and situations of Markéta
Všelichová and Miroslav Farkas.
The pair were arrested on the border between Turkey and Iraq in November 2016 after Turkish officers found materials on them that they said proved the pair were involved with the YPG, which Ankara considers a terrorist organisation. They are in prisons in different parts of Turkey.
The Turkish Supreme Court this week upheld a six-year prison sentence for two Czechs convicted on charges of terrorism in 2017. The Czech couple Marketa Všelichová and Miroslav Farkas, humanitarian workers who vehemently denied the accusations that they had assisted the Kurdish militia YPG, which Turkey considers a terrorist organization, have thus exhausted all the legal possibilities of appeal in Turkey. I spoke to their close friend Janusz Konieczny to find out what conditions they are being held in and how they feel about this latest
A Turkish court of appeals has upheld a six year sentence for two Czech
nationals, Markéta Všelichová and Miroslav Farkas, who were sentenced to
six years in prison in August of this year for allegedly supporting the
Kurdish militia YPG, which Turkey considers a terrorist group.
The couple denied the charges, maintaining they were humanitarian workers who had aimed to create a field hospital near the Turkish-Iraqi border. Both have appealed the decision with the Supreme Court, where they may have to wait between 3 and 9 months for a verdict.
The outgoing Foreign Minister Lubomír Zaorálek tried to secure their release during talks in Ankara, without success. He said their possible extradition to the Czech Republic was complicated by the fact that the Czech Republic would have to accept the verdict which goes against the Constitution of the Czech Republic.
Czech Foreign Minister Lubomír Zaorálek responded to Wednesday’s verdict by describing it as a “huge personal disappointment” and expressing hope that the appeal to a higher court would re-examine the facts and overrule the earlier verdict. In a statement, the ministry confirmed that the head of Czech diplomacy would contact his Turkish counterpart in the coming days about the case. In the meantime, the ministry will give all its possible help, it said. Pending a likely appeal, the two Czechs, remain in custody.
Two Czechs accused of being part of the Kurdish militia YPG were sentenced in a Turkish court on Wednesday to six years three months each. The two, Marketa Všelichová and Miroslav Farkas, could have faced maximum jail sentences of 15 years. They say they were humanitarian workers who aimed to create a field hospital in an area near the Turkish-Iraqi border. Turkey regards the YPG as a terrorist organisation. They were detained in November last year. The vedict can be appealed.
The Czech Foreign Ministry has confirmed that the two Czechs detained in Turkey on charges of terrorism will go on trial in May. Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Irena Valentova told the news site aktualne.cz that the ministry was devoting special attention to the case and hoped for a positive outcome. Miroslav Farkas and Marketa Všelichová were arrested in November 2016 trying to cross the Turkish-Syrian border and charged with aiding terrorist activities within the People's Protection Units YPG which Turkey considers a terrorist organization.The Chief Prosecutor's Office in Ankara is seeking a prison term of between seven and a half years and 15 years. Czech Foreign Minister Lubomír Zaorálek, who visited Turkey in January to try to negotiate their release, said he hoped the two might be expelled from the country.
The Chief Prosecutor's Office in Ankara is seeking a prison term of between seven and a half years and 15 years for two Czechs charged with aiding terrorist activities within the People's Protection Units YPG which Turkey considers a terrorist organization. Miroslav Farkas and Marketa Všelichová were arrested in November 2016 trying to cross the Turkish-Syrian border. They have been in the custody since their arrest. Czech Foreign Minister Lubomír Zaorálek, who visited Turkey in January and brought up the case, said he hoped for a satisfactory outcome, indicating the two might soon be expelled from the country.
Czech Minister for Foreign Affairs, Lubomír Zaorálek, has said he expects a satisfactory outcome in the case of two Czechs detained in Turkey on suspicion of aiding terrorists. On Monday the foreign ministry sent a formal letter to Ankara demanding details of Markéta Všelichová and Miroslav Farkas. The minister said their expulsion and return to the Czech Republic could be expected soon. The two were detained in November last year by Turkish police apparently over their alleged contacts with Kurdish groups.
The fate of two Czechs detained in Turkey last month, facing potential terrorism charges, is far from certain but Czech Foreign Minister Lubomír Zaorálek, on an official visit to Ankara has indicated there is reason for cautious optimism. Following talks with his Turkish counterpart, the minister said he saw a willingness on the part of the local authorities to accommodate the Czech Republic.