The minister of transport, Dan Ťok, wants to speed up road and motorway
projects by deterring people from launching multiple appeals against them,
the news website iDnes.cz reported. The ANO appointee proposes that a fee
of CZK 50,000 be attached to each objection – if the appeal is rejected,
the petitioners would lose the money.
Mr. Ťok said this measure would ensure that people would only file appeals if they had a specific reason for doing so. He says environmental groups are currently bogging down the construction process by making many objections simultaneously.
However, lawyers have questioned the proposal. They say some associations or individuals would effectively lose to right to appeal against road building decisions as doing so would become economically unfeasible.
The D8 motorway connecting Prague and Dresden should be fully operational,
without restrictions, by the end of September, Transport Minister Dan Tok
told the ctk news agency on Wednesday.
The construction of the motorway leading through a protected nature reserve in the Czech Middle Mountains, was dogged by problems, among them a landslide close to a stone quarry in 2013 which buried part of the road.
Although the final stretch of the motorway was completed at the end of last year a 16-kilomenter stretch was restricted to one lane due to unstable land.
The general director of the state roads and motorways authority, Jan Kroupa, has said there is no danger from using the newly opened D8 motorway from Prague to Dresden. Kroupa, interviewed on Czech Radio Monday,said the ground at a problem section of the motorway is being monitored continuously and there are signs that instability is decreasing. A major landslide at the section delayed completion of the motorway, which was opened Saturday, with expensive consolidation work carried out afterwards. One lane of the motorway is still closed as a temporary measure.
Ceremony marks opening of last stretch of D8 motorway, traffic restrictions in place The 16-kilometre missing link of the D8 motorway between Prague and the German border towards Dresden was officially opened Saturday with the project still mired in controversy. Only one lane will be open at one stretch of the motorway due to continued concern about the geological stability of the land there. The stretch was subject to a landslide previously. The minister of transport has given assurances that the two-kilometre stretch is stable but it is unclear how long the lane limit will last. Prime Minister Bohuslav Sobotka, who did not attend the opening ceremony, has said the saga of the D8, which has taken 32 years to complete since the first plans were drawn up, should be broached in Cabinet on Monday. He added that the problem stretch of motorway might be closed altogether.
The D8 motorway linking Prague and Germany in the direction of Dresden has been completed. The 16-kilometre missing link between Lovosice and Řehlovice should be opened up on Saturday and drivers will be able to use the full stretch of the motorway after 6pm that day. The final stretch of the motorway took ten years to complete due to protests by environmentalists against the chosen route through a protected landscape area and nature reserve. Work was also delayed by a major landslide in 2013 which buried part of the motorway under construction.
Transport Minister Dan Tok is insisting that the landslide which buried part of the under-construction D8 highway, linking Prague with Saxony in Germany, was caused by negligence in the operation of a nearby quarry. The minister cites an expert study commissioned by the Czech Transport Ministry, on the grounds of which the ministry is now claiming billion crown damages from Kamen Zbraslav, the company operating the quarry. However experts from the Czech Academy of Sciences who worked on the study say its conclusions did not point to a single culprit. The slope landslide buried part of the highway near the town of Litochovice in June of last year following heavy rainfall.
The landslide which buried part of the under-construction D8 highway, linking Prague with Saxony in Germany, was caused by negligence in the operation of a nearby quarry, according to an expert study commissioned by the Czech Transport Ministry, the internet site aktualne.cz reported on Friday. The slope landslide buried part of the highway near the town of Litochovice in June of last year following heavy rainfall. The ministry is now claiming billion crown damages from Kamen Zbraslav, the company operating the quarry.
The country’s transport minister, Daniel Ťok, has said the D8 motorway to Germany will be completed by Christmas of 2016. He made the statement after meeting with his German counterpart Alexander Dobrindt on Friday. The Dresden (or Teplice) motorway was originally to have been completed by 2010 under the original plans, but the project met with delays, protests by environmentalists and even a landslide. Before the summer holidays, the government took steps to remove all administrative obstacles, Minister Ťok said. Companies taking part in the construction work have also pledged to stick to the deadline, he said.
The prime minister insists construction work on a long-planned road artery leading from Prague to Germany’s Saxony will be completed next year as planned, despite a large landslide. Speaking on a visit to D8 road works near Litoměřice on Saturday evening, PM Bohuslav Sobotka said a landslide of 500 cubic metres of soil following heavy rains in 2013 would not thwart plans to reopen the motorway fully by December 2016. The D8 construction project began over two decades ago.