The European Court of Human rights in Strasbourg has backed the rights of a
noble family to renew proceedings to get their property back from a
confiscated stately home.
The court ruled Thursday that Kristina Colloredo-Mansfeld had not been given the rights to a fair court case when Czech authorities refused to give her access to the 1947 ministry decision nationalising the Renaissance castle of Opočno.
Her previous appeal to the Czech Constitutional Court was turned down in November last year. The noble family argue that the furniture and valuable art collection at the castle was first confiscated by the Nazi Gestapo in 1942 and later by the Czechoslovak state.
Legal representatives of the sister of a Czech man who died in London have
petitioned the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg to overturn a
UK court ruling which exonerated a man accused of his killing, the TV
station Prima reported on Tuesday.
If the court accepts the case the Czech Republic will support the victim’s sister, a spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said. Prima said it might be months before the court responds to the petition.
Zdeněk Makar, who was 31, was beaten to death following an altercation outside a fast food outlet in London in September last year.
Czech mother of two Eva Michalakova who was stripped of her parental rights
by a Norwegian court two years ago has filed a complaint with the European
Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg.
The children were taken from their parents in 2011 on suspicion of child abuse. Although no charges were pressed against either of them, Eva Michalakova was stripped of her parental rights and forbidden all contact with her two boys, now aged eight and twelve. All her appeals in Norway were rejected.
The Czech Foreign Ministry has said that it is ready to support Michalakova if the case is heard in Strasbourg.
Foreign Minister Lubomír Zaorálek has outlined the Czech Republic’s priorities for its upcoming chairmanship of the Committee of Ministers of the Council of Europe, highlighting above all protection of human rights. Speaking at a conference at the Czernin Palace on Thursday, the minister also presented the Czech Republic’s logo for the chairmanship which is to last from May till November 2017.
Czech foreign minister Lubomír Zaorálek has said that an appeal to the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg is the only way to reopen the case of a Czech killed in London whose attacker was found not guilty of manslaughter and murder. Zaorálek said a petition to the court by the dead man’s sister with the support of the Czech Republic is the only way to get the verdict reviewed. The defendant was found not guilty of killing Czech Zdeněk Makar by a jury at the start of April. Since then Czech officials have been reviewing the case with British officials but the English justice system leaves few options for reopening jury cases unless there is compelling new evidence. Zaorálek discussed the case with Council of Europe Secretary General Thorbjörn Jagland in Prague on Friday.
The Norwegian Ambassador to Prague Siri Ellen Sletner has said that the Norwegian courts will act as speedily as possible in dealing with the case of the Michalák brothers and the family will be able to make use of all the legal services Norway offers in such circumstances. Ms Michaláková lost the right to have regular contact with her children on the suspicion of past sexual abuse but the allegations were never proven in court. Recently, the Norwegian authorities ruled the younger child could be adopted by his foster parents and that the mother would no longer be allowed even limited access to the older boy. The decision has triggered strong criticism from the Czech authorities. The children’s mother has said she would explore all avenues of appeal in Norway and if that fails to take the matter to the European Court of Human Rights. The Norwegian ambassador expressed the hope that the controversial case would not damage the two countries’ good relations.
Czech Foreign Minister Lubomír Zaorálek has signed a diplomatic note in protest at the Norwegian authorities, who decided to place in adoption the six-year-old son of Czech woman Eva Michaláková. She has also been barred from having any contact with her second son, who is 10. The note will be handed over to the Norwegian embassy on Wednesday afternoon. Speaking on Tuesday night, Czech Prime Minister Bohuslav Sobotka said the country’s social affairs minister would seek an explanation from the Norwegian authorities on the ruling, which Prague says reneged on a previous agreement. The government has also encouraged Mrs. Michaláková to explore all avenues of appeal in Norway and if that fails to take the matter to the European Court of Human Rights.
The European Court of Human Rights has ruled against two Czech women seeking to challenge national legislation effectively banning home births with midwives serving as formal medical assistants. The petitioners both argued that the Czech law violated their human rights, a claim rejected by the court, and are now planning to appeal the verdict.
The European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg has ruled that the Czech state did not violate the rights of two mothers who complained that Czech legislation did not allow them to give birth in the home with the assistance of a midwife. The court took into consideration, in particular, that there was no European consensus on whether or not to allow home births, and that this question involved the allocation of financial resources, for example for an adequate emergency system for home births. In recent years there has been growing pressure on the Czech authorities to enable home births and some maternity hospitals now offer the possibility for mothers to give birth at the hospital with the help of a midwife and doctors on standby should the need arise.
The EC has sent the Czech Republic a formal request for information regarding the alleged discrimination of Romany children in the Czech education system. The Czech authorities have two months in which to provide the information. Amnesty International has welcomed the move saying that the Czech Republic has for years failed to take effective measures to secure equal access to education for Romany children who are very often placed in special schools for children with learning disabilities. A group of Romany parents took their case to the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg in 2007 and won, but Amnesty says little has changed in practice since.