The foreign ministry has released some grim statistics on the number of Czech holidaymakers to have died abroad this year: a record sixty-six Czechs in total. Most died in traffic accidents. There were 13 deaths in neighbouring Slovakia, and 11 in Croatia, where some 800,000 Czechs will spend their summer holiday this year. The first Czech victim of terrorism died last month in an explosion in the Egyptian resort town of Sharm el Sheikh.
A family friend of former prime minister Stanislav Gross has been sentenced to five years in prison for insurance fraud. The Prague City Court ruled on Tuesday that businesswoman Libuse Barkova had made false property damage claims in 2001 and 2002, which netted her several hundred thousand dollars. Ms Barkova, who has also been investigated for tax evasion, immediately appealed Tuesday's verdict. She first came to national attention in 2003 when her conversations with Interior Minister Gross and a Defence Minister were caught up in a police wiretap, and it was revealed that Ms Barkova owned a building housing a brothel. Stanislav Gross resigned as prime minister this spring in part because of questions about his wife's business dealings with Ms Barkova.
In related news, former president Vaclav Havel, who appeared at a rally on Monday to lend his support to the CzechTek partygoers, has offered to act as a mediator between the government and the rave's organisers. Police announced on Tuesday that 10 people have been charged in relation to Saturday's events, most with assaulting a public official. At least two private citizens have filed complaints against the police. Meanwhile, according to a lightning poll conducted for the daily Mlada fronta Dnes, seven out of ten Czechs believe that the police action to shut down CzechTek was 'too severe'. The Czech police used tear gas, stun grenades, batons and water cannons to disperse the CzechTek crowds, whom the government says were trespassing on private property.
The English football club Everton are reportedly ready to offer Liverpool £6 million pounds for Czech striker Milan Baros. Aston Villa have already had a £5 million pound offer for Baros rejected, while West Ham confirmed an interest in the Czech Republic international last week. Meanwhile, West Ham have signed on the Czech Under-21 striker Petr Mikolanda, who plays for Viktoria Zizkov in Prague.
Prime Minister Jiri Paroubek has responded to critics of Saturday's police action to shut down the annual CzechTek rave party in a front page editorial published in the daily Lidove Noviny on Tuesday. In justifying the police action to shut down the techno party, which took place in a field in West Bohemia, Mr Paroubek wrote that the participants were not innocent "dancing children" but rather "people with anarchist proclivities and international links." He said they were known to "provoke massive violent demonstrations, fuelled by alcohol and drugs, against the peaceful society" throughout Europe.
In related news, the Justice Minister Pavel Nemec, too, has asked Interior Minister Frantisek Bublan for a detailed report on police operations at CzechTek - saying that the media had raised some doubt on steps taken by police. Mr Nemec also said that the State Attorney's Office had not given instructions to the police on how to proceed - contrary to statements made by the prime minister and Mr Bublan at the weekend.
A spokesman for the Czech Foreign Ministry has said that Frantisek
Priplata, sentenced to eight years in prison in Romania for incitement
to murder, will not face extradition. The Czech businessman escaped
from Romania and returned to the Czech Republic on Friday. The ministry
spokesman stressed that Mr Priplata was in the Czech Republic legally
and said that extradition was out of the question.
An official from Romania's Foreign Ministry has also commented Mr Priplata's case, saying on Monday that Romania would put out an international arrest warrant and seek extradition.
Frantisek Priplata himself has complained that, regarding his legal case, Romania respected neither the law, nor human rights.
The opposition right-of-centre Civic Democrats say they will try and
call a special meeting of Parliament's Defense Committee to look into
steps taken by police at CzechTek - and will look for a chance to
question Interior Minister Frantisek Bublan and the Prime Minister Jiri
Paroubek in Parliament. There have already been repeated calls from
some Civic Democrats for the interior minister to resign, calls he has
rejected. On Monday Mr Bublan said if anyone was to blame it was the
organisers of the event themselves, who, in his view, had refused to
communicate with police.
Deputy to the police president Vladislav Husak, meanwhile admitted that riot police at CzechTek were caught off guard by what he described as the "brutality of the crowds".
Martin Nekola: Czech Chicago and other untold stories of Czechs abroad
Czech President Zeman addresses Council of Europe
Czech Republic faces court action over freedom of movement
Czech pre-election battle plugs into war of words over lithium mining deal
Prague prepares for launch of annual light show