A regional court has served a twenty- year-old Czech man a seven month
suspended sentence for approving the terrorist attacks in Berlin and
Ankara. He is the second Czech to be sentenced for sympathising with
The young man repeatedly expressed these views in public, saying there should have been more people killed in Berlin. Twelve people died in the terrorist attack in Berlin in which a truck rammed into passers-by. One of the victims was a Czech woman. The man also approved the murder of the Russian ambassador in Ankara. He has not appealed the verdict.
The other Czech convicted for sympathising with the terrorist cause wanted to join the IS. He was sentenced to six years in prison.
Recently, concrete barriers were added around parts of the Old Town Square to prevent or block vehicles which could be used in a terrorist attack. There is no question about the prudence of the move but few would call the barriers “attractive”. The Prague Institute of Planning and Development is one of the bureaux looking for a better long-term solution.
Police are investigating the cause of an explosion outside the main
building of Masaryk University in Brno that injured two people on Thursday.
A pressure bottle reportedly exploded in a van parked on the premises. The police have ruled out terrorism. The damage is expected to exceed one million crowns.
Prague’s Municipal Court has dropped charges against five Czechs who had
been accused of planning a terrorist attack on a train near Chuchle’s
railway bridge in 2015.
The prosecution charged that the five, described as anarchists, had prepared and buried two Molotov cocktails containing polystyrene, cooking oil, and gasoline, near a location from where they had allegedly planned to firebomb a train transporting military equipment.
The prosecution argued the five had aimed to threaten lives in the attack. Three of the five charged faced potential sentences between 12 and 20 years in jail.
The lead judge overseeing the case explained that there were unanswered questions about steps taken by the police, which had lacked transparency. The use of undercover agents in the case was also questionable as they may have served the roles of agent provocateurs. Friday’s decision may still be appealed.
A Czech national, who was kidnapped by terrorists in Libya in 2015, was
probably murdered soon after the abduction, the Austrian Foreign Ministry
said on Wednesday.
The Czech, along with his Austrian colleague, were employees of the Maltese-Austrian company VAOS. They were among a group of nine foreign workers, who were kidnapped by Islamic State militants in an attack on an oil-field in Libya. According to the latest findings, they were murdered shortly after the kidnapping.
In an address to the United Nations General Assembly in New York on
Tuesday, the Czech president, Miloš Zeman, told the gathered world leaders
that the world community was still hesitant to fully engage in the war
Mr. Zeman said the United Nations required a strong agency that would be capable of also employing military force to combat what he called “terrorist anti-civilisation”.
The Czech head of state said some terrorists were active under cover of mass migration, a trend that he also said was causing a brain drain from undeveloped African states.
The Czech ambassador to Egypt Veronika Kuchynová -Šmigolová has said
Egypt is delaying the results of an investigation into a knife attack in
which one Czech and two German tourists were killed at a beach in Hurghada
in July of this year for fear of putting off tourists.
The ambassador said that while the Egyptian side was extremely helpful and cooperative the likely conclusion that it had been a terrorist attack was not in their best interests. An official conclusion into the affair may take time, the ambassador said.
Negotiations are also underway regarding compensation for the families of the victims.